Here's some suggestions based
on our experiences:
- Bring your credit card.* (See below)
- Eat at the local restaurants.Get the full meal plan if you know you
are staying at a resort located a distance from any restaurants.
- Try Hinano beer and tiare sorbet.
- Try to buy locally made souvenirs.
- Swim with a T shirt. When swimming, wear as little sunblock as possible
and only in the most exposed places (nose, face.) Wear a hat and sunglasses
- Wear surf shoes when swimming, but always avoid stepping on the coral.
- Bring your own fins and mask- you'll get a better fit and have continuous
- Get a copy of the Lonely Planet guide to Tahiti and French Polynesia.
- Leave home without your credit card.
- Buy tacky souvenirs made in some sweatshop.
- For the sake of the environment, don't buy black pearls or jewelry
made from coral.
- Swim without a T shirt on if you burn.
- Use sunblock (except where necessary) when snorkeling since it washes
off and kills the coral.
- Drink the water. Get bottled water at a store if you can.
- Try to go to too many islands- better to do one or two thoroughly.
- Stay at the Bali Hai Moorea or the Club Bali Hai.
- Go shark or ray feeding or swim with the captive dolphins.
- Don't forget to bring some PowerBars! Food is expensive!
Resort Life Can Be Expensive, So Use Your Credit Card!
* Taking all of your meals and arranging all of your activities through the resort can be very expensive, but that's what we did for our three days at the Sofitel Heiva on Huahine. You may wonder what kinds of expenses might accrue above and beyond what is provided for in your tour. We thought you might like to see our bill. (The only item that was not a meal or activity involved the purchase of a pareo at the resort's boutique.) The charges listed are in Central Polynesian Francs (CFP) and were billed to my credit card in the amount of $612.72 (US dollars). That's an exchange rate of 124.78 CFP to $1.00, which was 25% better than the 100 to 1 rate given by most local merchants, and also better than the banks' rate.
RELEVE DE COMPTE :
Date : 18.06.00
SEJOUR : KHALSA/RIEHM
DU 15.06.2000 AU 18.06.2000
|Date||Prestation||Qte||P.U H.T||Total H.T||Tva||P.U TTC||Total TTC|
|150600||RESTAURANT MIDI||2||1 368.00||2 736.00||D||1 450.00||2 900.00|
|150600||RESTAURANT SOIR||2||5 915.00||11 830.00||D||6 270.00||12 540.00|
|160600||PETIT DEJEUNER||2||1 846.00||3 692.00||D||1 957.00||3 914.00|
|160600||AFO SAFARI1||1||9 300.00||9 300.00||A||9 300.00||9 300.00|
|160600||CIT PIROGUE2||1||6 509.00||6 509.00||D||6 900.00||6 900.00|
|160600||BOUTIQUE||1||3 000.00||3 000.00||C||3 270.00||3 270.00|
|160600||RESTAURANT SOIR||2||2 830.00||5 660.00||D||3 000.00||6 000.00|
|170600||PETIT DEJEUNER||2||1 846.00||3 692.00||D||1 957.00||3 914.00|
|170600||PROMENADE A CHEVA3||1||11 925.00||11 925.00||D||12 640.00||12 640.00|
|170600||TRANSFERT FARE4||1||2 718.00||2 718.00||B||2 800.00||2 800.00|
|170600||RESTAURANT SOIR||2||5 174.50||10 249.00||D||5 485.00||10 970.00|
|180600||MASTER CARD TPE||1||-76 458.00||-76 458.00||-76 458.00||-76 458.00|
1 4X4 Backcountry safari for two - see the sights, well worth it!
2 Circle the island in an outrigger canoe, with snorkeling for two.
3 Horseback riding on the beach for two.
4 Ride for two to nearest town and back.
|Cod||TAUX||BASE HT||MT TVA|
|D||6.00||57 629.00||3 457.74|